Sunday, January 29, 2006

Simply Existing

Spent my Sunday in hibernation. It was my pre-determined, monthly day of siesta where I don't leave the house, holding at bay all that which troubles me. I spent part of that time watching "Baraka," engulfed for ninety-some minutes. It is by far the most beautiful film I've ever seen. The images are incredible in how they draw upon our emotions, yet it is the use of music and sound which gives the film it's power. A 96 minute meditation on "aware" in the Japanese sense, which I'd translate loosely as pathos. The sheer scale of humanity and of the landscape and of time, leaves the viewer feeling insignificant. Yet the ability to think this way makes you the most significant one of all.

On the turntable: John Coltrane, "The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings"
On the nighttable: Jonathon Coe, "The House of Sleep"

No comments: