Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Stuff from an Old Notebook (Prologue)


Inspired I guess by Chatwin and Kerouac, I've been a carrying around a Moleskine notebook for 16 years or so.  I recently began to go through them, reminiscing as I looked over the entries.  Poems, travel fragments, random thoughts and ideas.  Notes from yoga seminars, Buddhist lectures, martial arts workshops. Addresses and phone numbers, recipes and lists, hand-drawn maps and directions.  Not to mention the names of books and albums, places and films, all presumably recommended by someone I was sitting across from at the time. There was even a signed 'receipt' from an former landlady.  

Although in more recent years I've 'upgraded' to the more convenient voice recorder on my iPhone, the old tattered Moleskines have been a true record of a large part of my life.  I appreciated this nostalgic walk through my own history.  

While a large majority of the entries have already found their way here to this blog, for a number of months I'll jot a few items down, as means of archiving.  Older poems will appear intermittently, beside the new.     


On the turntable:  The Dave Brubeck Quartet,  "At Carnegie Hall"

No comments: