Saturday, March 09, 2019

Writing Journey to Rural Japan


Back in 2013 I wrote a review about a book I very much admire, Andy Couturier's The Abundance of Less (when it was titled A Different Kind of Luxury).   

I am happy to see that he is leading a group to Japan this spring, to get a taste of the Japanese rural life, and to meet a few of the people from the book itself.  

Details can be found here.


My original 2013 review in it's entirety:

It was alternative culture that led me to Japan.  In my final couple years as a university student, I found myself ducking classes more and more in order to read the works of those whose viewpoints didn't necessarily align themselves with the conservative mainstream '80's microcosm that was my school.  Despite this, their words were available on the shelves of the campus library, and it is from this berth that my imagination began to sail in directions at odds with what I was learning in the classroom. 

The radical ideals of many of these writers had been honed in the temples of Asia, so it was only natural that I would gravitate there.  When I arrived in the Japanese countryside in the very-much-analogue year of 1994, I found myself in an environment similar to the University I'd left a few years before, an environment of materialism and conformity.  I learned quite early that even the people on the street who looked the most radical were most often merely dressing the part, and that eventually they too would be absorbed back into the greater culture at large.  I did eventually find a few aspiring artists or those who "aspired to" a simpler way of life, (and there were also rumors of interesting happenings down in Kyoto), but for the most part I settled into this cultural outback of the countryside.

Little did I know that it was exactly there where the kindred spirits dwell.  In the late '90's, an article began appearing in The Japan Times, an article called "Alternative Luxuries."  I would read Andy Couturier's pieces with great relish.  I had found over the years that in Japan, people are allowed to have dreams, but it is only the brave few who actually act on them.  Yet here in print were people who had not only followed their dreams, but had let those dreams shape their very way of existing.

A handful of years later, I once again came across Andy's articles in this very blog.  Not only had the articles been fleshed out further, but so had my own relation to them and to Japan itself.  Some of the inspiration had rubbed off to the extent that I too had crafted my own semi-alternative life here (Not being Japanese in the first place, this isn't terribly difficult.)  Like Andy, I had built my own friendships with people to whom a simple life is simply common sense.  Though a few are based in cities, most live deep in the countryside, and share with the men and women in Andy's book not only the ordinariness in how they live, but the complexity in how they view their lives and their interconnectedness. 

I had a glimpse of the latter one autumn night, a few weeks before I was leaving Japan, a departure that had I assumed at the time was final.  The night that my wife and I had just finished the Shikoku 88 Temple pilgrimage, we were put up by a few young people living deep in a valley in Tokushima.   As the evening went on, my hosts and I found that we had many friends in common, and I began to sink into a certain melancholy, saddened to be leaving this country in which I had built deep friendships over 15 years.  But then it dawned on me that I wasn't stepping away from the circle.  In moving back to the States, I was helping that circle to expand.

And there, upon arrival, I found Andy's book, a book I'd been waiting all of those 15 years to see published.  And in rereading those familiar voices, and in reading the comments of those who praise this book, the circle continues to expand.   
 



On the turntable: James Gang, "Thirds"

3 comments:

Again Wilder said...

Hi Ted,

I read Andy's articles and book with a totally different lense, but I'll leave the explanation out for now. I'll just talk about how I see things unfolding here:

In regards to my neighbors who partake in the so-called different kind of luxury, I'd argue that we are threatened from below by crime gangs, and from above vis-a-vis local authority paid by the Tokyo elite. Meditating and carving wood doesn't change this, albiet in the minds of the meditators and carvers it may. Anything to lessen the anxiety I guess. And hardly anyone is trying to change Japan by taking over the government. Instead, everyone is trying to carve out zones where they get the benefits of the state without the costs and, yeah, have that abundance of time without having to go out and hutsle for money. It's easy !

What happened to the warlords? The protectors of tribe and lands?

Lately I've been noticing more dead animals in the forest (in line with my presence there daily), so now I'm seeing all the old institutions as giant dead animals on which predators and scavengers gather to feast. I don't see how this is not going to get worse. I see people taking, if not stealing, scheming, if not lying, to get more money from the government everyday. I've got kin up and down Japan, so this isn't some isolated thing. And I find that I've lost the urge to tell a compelling story: to blame it all on one thing, or to offer a solution, as Andy seems to be doing with "consumerism" and "post-modernism" and possibly "climate change". I used to see human society as a sandbox, where it makes sense to talk about what we can do to change it. Now I see it as a landslide, an unfolding disaster where we're only trying to survive. Did Buddhism really help humanity? Perhaps it has and does, but my experience with it here in Japan has been nothing short of enlightening, and not in the way that is commonly talked about.

January 31. We valued this hill that we were willing to die on, and with that came purpose. We operated on priciples that paid off in the end. Whole ranges, now snow-covered ranges, at our feet. Thick layers of fresh, fluffy snow, where sound waves were readily absorbed. If there was such a thing as Zen, this is where it was at, not in a temple somewhere. Before the war and before our self-imposed mountain excile, it's where we observed people's souls and savings being locked away in vaults by monks who managed the keys. History was on nobody's side except the temple's.

ken

Edward J. Taylor said...

Nice Ken, many thanks as ever for your input...

Again Wilder said...

Hi again Ted,

Ha! You bet.

ken