Friday, September 14, 2007

I am a Camera

When I was in high school, I had wanted to be a film director. I applied to, and was accepted by, USC. In order to save money, I decided to go to University of Arizona for 2 or 3 semesters, then transfer. Somewhere along the way, I grew disillusioned with film studies programs, the camel's back breaking during a course which considered Blake Edwards to be one of America's greats. I soon changed to creative writing. However, film wasn't finished with me. I was lucky enough to be in U2's "Rattle and Hum" (look for me, I'm the small figure in the back singing and clapping), and "Firebirds," a Top Gun-ripoff with all the flight of the turkey the film turned out to be. More so than my (nothing ) role as a helicopter pilot, the true highlight for me was all the free food, as this was during my poorest of college days. This latter film turned me off Hollywood for good. To quote Flavor Flav, "Yo, fuck Hollywood man."

Film didn't seem to want to leave me alone. A UCSB course in "Literature and Film" almost inspired me to consider grad school there, but this was in 1991 and the height of PC attacking free-speech in a way that would've made Joseph McCarthy proud. I decided instead to go to Japan.

But film doesn't seem to be done with me. In the 'Nog, I helped with the music on a documentary my friends made about vending machines. Ten years ago, while living in Hong Kong, I attempted a make money as an extra. This was at the height on Japan's late 90's indie film boom, and I'd hoped to come back to Tokyo and find work somewhere. Yet my experiences on the set frustrated me, to see the slimy way that actors tried to instill favor with agents and producers. On the set of a film I did, I literally cringed as I eavesdropped on one guy on the phone. My season in Hong Kong soured me both on film and living in big cities.

Yet film has regrouped and made a full assault again. This current wave started two years ago when I went to visit Cath while she was doing film school in London. A couple weeks of film-laden conversations segued into a few days in Paris visiting a friend who is becoming something of a legend as a producer. My first night in town saw a rambling dinner at a bistro with a handful of major names in the French film world. This time I seem hooked.

Coming back to Japan, I started buying DVDs of some of the world's greatest directors, and watch 3 or 4 a week. It's begun to affect the way I see things. I've said before how I've grown sensitive to the quality of light. From time to time, I also notice myself mesmerized by a landscape, or the multiple layers of motion framed by my eyes.

All the above serves as an introduction. For on Monday, I finally scored a trifecta. I was in my first Japanese film. I got a bit part as a student in Kyoto language school. There was the usual obligatory waiting, but the shot was done in a mere two takes. The most interesting part was seeing the subtle cultural differences in how a film crew sets up a shot. Not sure what the finished product will be like, but it was good fun being on the set.

Next stop: Bollywood!



On the turntable: The Byrds, "Fillmore West 1969"

1 comment:

Taiko Tari said...

What movie was it? Are we going to see you in a big screen movie or TV?