Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Gravity's Rainbow

As we got deeper into November, my hillside began to experiment with red and yellow clothes. Autumn in the Kyo seems much more colorful than in the 'Nog. The thousands of tourists in town to see all this color would probably agree.
Last night while wandering Kyoto University at dusk, I came across a small canvas of yellow and couldn't resist the urge to sign it. The result was almost a reverse-image of a man's writing his name in the snow. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you listen to more Frank Zappa.

Next, on a nearby patch of grass, I performed my performance piece, "Leaf Angel."

If Basho can take his artistic name from the banana tree, I can take mine from the ginkgo. I thus carried its scent with me the rest of the night.

On the turntable: Ramblin' Jack Elliott, "Kerouac's Last Dream"
On the nighttable: Kenji Tokitsu, "Miyamoto Musashi, His Life and Writings"

3 comments:

Billy Jack said...

How do you like the Tokitsu book? I got through about half of it but had to return it to the library.

Al

Edward J. Taylor said...

I'm about half through it myself. Good so far, dealing a lot with the legacy and not the legend. I can't wait to read more about the ryu.

BTW Al, I owe you a long overdue email. Coming soon...

Anonymous said...

Ah... so that's what that smell was at Kawarazaki sensei's class!