Saturday, July 01, 2006

Number One Fan

Due to the fact that my room in the Kyo was an oven at 5:30 this morning, I decided I needed a fan. A quick check with David, who is in his last month in my future abode, said that he had one I could use, a nice oscillating floor model, which looks like a lollipop growing from a block of chocolate. So throwing it over my shoulder, I biked with it across town, a twenty minute ride. I definitely drew looks, which was fun since Kyoto residents are long jaded by the presence of foreigners in their midst and rarely rubberneck. The stares were thickest at traffic lights. There I'd rest the fan on my knee, with the blades facing my head. When a light breeze set the blades in motion, I'd close my eyes and tilt my head back, as if I were using it to beat the muggy heat of rainy season.

Another way to beat the heat is with beer, of course. A couple bottles of the Thai variety were had with Marcin last night. He continues to post on last week's Taiko adventure. A short click away...



On the turntable: Nenes, "Okinawa Memorial"
On the nighttable: Bruce Chatwin, "The Viceroy of Ouidah"

No comments: