Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Jung as Lifeguard

Last Thursday I took my first tabla lesson from Shen, resident of the Indo-Aussie-Nippon golden triangle. He and a santoor player called Jimi played a gig Sunday night at Ei-Un-In, a temple whose name seems lifted from the breath which usually accompanies Kegel contractions. (It was my second Indian music gig of the weekend, having seen an incredible Sarod player at Ratna cafe two nights earlier.) The virtuosity of the music was rivalled only by the still perfection of the garden behind the performers, and by the first movement of autumn playing out in the air. A magical night. During one raga, I began to hear strains of flute in my head, which I had assumed were stored in the warehouse of my mind, a bit of a piece I'd heard somewhere before. However, I later realized that I had been sitting behind Carlos Guello, local bansuri (flute) player. Ah, to bathe in the pool of collective unconsciousness...


On the turntable: Gorillaz Vs. Spacemonkeyz, "Laika Come Home"
On the nighttable: Catherine Hanrahan, "Lost Girls and Love Hotels"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey--how did you like Lost Girls and Love Hotels?

Edward J. Taylor said...

It was good. Using a Western bar hostess as protagonist seems to be the flavor of the month these days, but this character had more depth than usual, and because of this, the book stood out.

What'd you think?

Anonymous said...

Well..I wrote it so I'm biased...
I always like to know what people who live/have lived in Japan think of the book. So thanks for your feedback!
catherine